Pages

Saturday, September 13, 2014

Movie 1 - The Running Man

Who loves you and who do you love?

Movie number one down.  The Running Man (1987).  

This one was fun, interesting and I can see some of the story lines for more recent dystopian media mind control societies.  

Ben Richards the hero is painted as a bad guy and made to fight gladiator style for his and the lives of his friends whilst trying to take down the ICS media mogul and save the people in general.

I can't say that the movie has stood the test of time as it were, I can see how dated it is in some ways, the computers, the spandex, the hair and fashions.  However; the story itself is somewhat timeless (as seen by the recent rush of similar movies / stories) and the Arnie one liners are still just as good. .

Arnold Schwarzenegger does the one liners well, some which stand out:
"Killien, I'll be back" - Now where have I heard that before?

"What happened to Buzzsaw?" 
"He had to split" 

The comment about Subzero being a plain zero and Fireball arriving in the game zone, "jesus christ", "Guess again".  

Yeah you can tell that they made the lines nice and easy for him to work on.  Katniss Everdeen on 300 pounds of steroids.

I really enjoyed the 80's revival in this movie, the music worked well with the scenes and it was a good watch from start to finish.  The cheesy lines added to the overall effect and I kind of expect them in an Arnie movie.  I noticed like lots of his films other than him and maybe one other person that was in the movie no one else seems to have made more movies, not big ones I've seen at any rate. 

I'm not sure how I'm going to rate them, I might need to come back and rejig the ratings as I watch more of the movies on the list but for number one I'm going to give this a 7/10.  Worth watching and a good start for my cult classics catch up. 



No comments:

Post a Comment